Monday, October 18, 2010

Olive Juice (In Three Words or Less)

I know the first time I wanted to tell Pam that I loved her. I probably felt it a long time before that moment, but this was the first moment that I thought, "Why am I scared to say it? It's true. I think about her every day. I want to know what she's thinking and if she's thinking about me. The thought of her fills me with so much peace and happiness. Why not say it?"

Well, for one thing, Pamela was a friend, still. Further, she was a friend I never met...physically, at least. You see, Miss Pamela Andrews resides in Australia. Always has. I reside in the United States of America. Always have.



We met by way of random occurrence online, a retweet from a Twitter bot called, "Oh Snap Attack". I was fairly new to Twitter and wasn't necessarily connecting, truly, with new people. I was skimming my feed (I don't read quite detailed anymore) when something caught my eye:


"Fancy that", I must've thought, "someone on Twitter used the word 'thou". That person must be interesting." So, I decided to follow the user, @painted_duchess, and send her a mention:


Soon after, I got a few DMs from @painted_duchess, telling me her name was "Pam" and exchanging pleasantries. Then, she messaged me this:


Pamela Andrews painted_duchess


And you likewise! Tell me about yourself in a sentence.

And so began our journey.

We began to share with each other via Twitter, Facebook, AIM, Text Messaging, Email, Private YouTube videos, Mobile Phone, letters and Skype. We spent months communicating back and forth, getting to know each other, as well as flirting with each other without being certain if it was flirting or pleasantries. Well, she thought she was obvious; I thought I was looking too much into it (though I wanted to believe, I truly did!). I even made up an entire Karaoke Secret Santa just at the chance for one of us to possibly sing a song for the other. Ironically, we drew different people, and her Secret Santa didn't follow through. >:-(

Anyways, we've been talking more closely for months and I was on a train to New York, to visit a film school that I wanted to go to. I was just sitting, looking out at the passing towns, when a thought popped into my mind:

"I love you, Pamela."

It immediately woke me up from my daydream. I kept thinking to myself and I kept confirming:

"I love Pamela."

I began to quietly get excited in the train car. I wanted to text, call, shout, anything to Pamela my new realization.

However, though we were having a close relationship, neither one of us called it..."a relationship". I wonder if the fact that we were separated by a million miles (yes, a million; it's a scientific fact) prevented us from making that one last step. But, in any case, I thought it would be odd to just jump in and say:

I love you.

So, I took out a journal. Found a blank page and wrote the following:

"I'm gonna write something that I've felt for a while now, but want to save to say, or display, the words in person: I love you, Pamela."

Less than a week after, we made it official. Boyfriend/Girlfriend. Lovers. "In a Relationship". Whatever you want to call it. We went forward with amped-up sweet gestures and attempts to talk to each other. We committed to each other.

Along the way, we figured we loved each other. At some point, we just knew. But, we tried not to say it just yet. So, we got creative:

<3
Love to you.
Love.
I <3 you.
I adore you. (Especially fond of this one)
I stroke you. (Okay, that was just a synonym joke. :-P)

and finally...

Olive Juice.


In the end, one of us slipped up, I won't say who, but I loved the fact that we tried to save it for later, for when we met. Sometimes, though, when you feel strongly for someone, you just can't contain your love for them.

Here is us again, unable to contain that love, and now sharing it with all of you. Enjoy our adventures; we hope that you'll find your own love along the way.

Peace,
Joe R.

4 comments:

  1. That's a lovely story - and evidence, if any were needed, that Twitter is a power for good (and Justin Bieber).

    For what it's worth my wife and I used to say "Elephant Stew" (yeah, I know... "used"..! We still love each other, but tend actually to use the sign-language gesture now :D)

    james (@syzygy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *tear* I don't think I'll ever get tired of hear/reading your story! Both of you - keep writing, it will remain a wonderful memory :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, James! I think you're right. Twitter is definitely a power for good! (And Justin Bieber. Unfortunately.)

    Elephant Stew... I just said it aloud, and I'm a little confused. LOL. Sounds very cute! And I'm glad that you still love each other.

    Allycat, you're so sweet. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so lovely!

    Joe you are so sweet for wanting to save it to actually say it rather than just type it.

    ReplyDelete