Sunday, October 24, 2010

The First Skype Non-Bake Bake-Off! (Part 2: Notes from the Other Side)

Well, I know that I've been wanting to do a date online, because I love the idea that we transcend distance barriers. :-) My original idea was to actually go out to a diner or cafe and enjoy breakfast (a versatile meal that can be had at any time of day). However, Pam was quick to point out that there will be a lack of internet. :-\ Well, maybe we can find a reliable source of public wi-fi at a dining establishment that will be open at comparable hours in the future. :-P

So, here is a little bit of what happened on my end, with a slight assist from Pam's original entry:

Date: Sunday 17 October 2010
Time: 2330 AEST (DST)/0830 EST *Well, on my end, the first photo taken was about 0959 EST, but Pam got the general idea. :-)
Activity: Non-Bake Bake-off! *Wait, this was a competition? No. 1: Lemon Cheesecake

The Recipe



To be honest, I've made this before! I wanted to try something exotic, but decided that this simple, yet delicious recipe, was the best way to go. And, I ventured out and got some gelatine!!! I now know how to properly soften and dissolve it.

*A note about the Australian Women's Weekly Magazine

This was a sweet gift that came as part of a very important package from Pam. Inside contained the letter that convinced me to make it official. :-)


The Setup

So, here is the crowded, semi-chaotic setup. As you see, I have Philadelphia Cream Cheese on top of the plate, sitting on top of the sweetened condensed milk (Market Pantry version). *Note to Pam: don't lick the rest out of the can...you'll just cut your tongue; that won't be good.

I used Honey Graham Crackers and it turned out wonderful! The graham cracker crust might have ended up being a little dry, but I think a little more butter would have made it softer. Also, I *need* to grease the pie pan, though Pam said, "It's not necessary." :-\ Oh, Pam...

OH, I ALMOST FORGOT! The most important thing. My laptop sitting in the back so Pam and I can make this cheesecake together. :-)

Picture of Pam taking a picture of me as I beat the cream cheese filling...
..."Whoa. Meta."

A close-up of the cream cheese filling and the destruction around it.

Pam, "impressed" by my lemon cheesecake. :-)

The Final Result


What we learned:

-Gelatine helps make the cheesecake firmer. When I first made this for a Mothers' Day gift, the cheesecake was very creamy, but it would not hold shape very well. This time, it was firm and delicious!

-I like the lemon zest addition. I feel it adds to the tangy, or tart, flavor of the cake.

-Grease the pie pans. It makes it easier to cut and serve.

-Honey Graham Crackers and butter will do. No need for sugar.

-I swear I took more pictures...I must double-check my camera to make sure it saves.

Verdict: A wonderful date. I agree; we need a better way to hear each other while we prepare the dish. But, we'll make do. ;-)

Taste review: Wonderful! Tangy, or tart, with a great texture to it. The honey graham cracker crust was scrumptious!

Until next time, oh, faithful followers of olive juice...

Peace,
Joe R.

2 comments:

  1. MMmmmmmm cheesecake!!
    Sidenote- you need thoes little stalk mic/headphone things that call center workers have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeaaaaaaah! That's what I need. I'd look well hot wearing one of those. *nod*

    ReplyDelete